Sponsored by:
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

GI transferability rules officially released

The Defense Department has signed off on policies and procedures for service members to transfer their unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their spouses or children.

The new version of the GI Bill is effective Aug. 1.

Eligible service members will be able to register their immediate family members to receive those benefits when a new Defense Department Web site goes live June 29.

The site,, will be accessible using a common access card, DOD self-service user identification or a Defense Finance and Accounting Service personal identification number, according to a DOD release.

The full policy is available here.

Some of the eligibility and transferability rules are:

--To be eligible, service members must have served in the Armed Forces for at least six years, and agree to serve four additional years, from the date of election to transfer.

--Service members with at least 10 years of service, who by DoD or service policy are prevented from committing to four additional years, may transfer their benefits provided they commit for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute.

--To maintain proper force structure and promotion opportunities, temporary rules have been developed for service members eligible to retire between Aug. 1, 2009 and Aug. 1, 2012. Depending on their retirement eligibility date, these service members will commit to one to three additional years, from the date of election to transfer.

Service members may be eligible for the “Post 9/11 GI Bill” if they served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged. Based on the length of active duty service, members are entitled to a percentage of the cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher learning. Members not on active duty may also receive a monthly living stipend equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, and to an annual $1,000 stipend for books and supplies.

The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the “Post 9/11 GI Bill,” and more information can be found at .

The Armed Forces Press Service reported that the benefits can be transferred to a spouse, one or more children, or any combination. The family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System to receive the benefits.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo

I grew up in the military. Mom was an Air Force nurse for a few years, dad was a navigator on B-52s, among other things. One grandfather served in World War II, uncle is retired Navy, other grandfather and great-uncle served in Korea and a cousin is currently serving in the Marine Corps. Currently, I'm the military reporter for the Great Falls Tribune in Montana. Previously, 

As a military kids, we moved all over. As an adult, I've traveled all over and moved for work. But now, I'm putting down roots in Montana with my boyfriend. We just bought a house and are slowly but surely making it our home. We have more land that we know what to do with at the moment. Now we're getting a garden started, tearing down walls and having loads of fun at what we call the Homestead.

In a part life, I did PR for the guy who built the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the National Mall, social media for the National Museum of Health and Medicine, before that, edited two military technology magazines for a publishing group in the DC area and before that, I was the military reporter (among other things) at the Montgomery Advertiser, covering Maxwell Air Force Base, the Alabama National Guard, veterans and anything else military related in the area. And in between all of that, I leave town, preferably the country, whenever possible. It all started when I spent a semester in New Zealand.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]